Saturday, May 21, 2011

How writing brought me closer to God.

Hey everyone! I promise this blog WON'T be used as a personal diary. I just have something on my mind, and think everyone who reads my blog would be interested in.

First of all, I'd like to say my love for 'God' (call God what you will, this isn't technical) is fairly new. I mean, I suppose you can ignore those everyday miracles. Those little things that stopped you from doing something, or that little push you needed to leap into something amazing. Or maybe you thought of something you wanted so bad, and suddenly there was a tiny window of opportunity that you needed. Maybe some hurt you carried on your shoulders subsided. Maybe you saw something from someone else' point of view.

These are some of the things that I have begun to notice, and begun to appreciate. I love the fact that there are some days when it seems so dark, and the next I understand how to navigate through the storm. I believe that's what God does for me. He gives me a chance.

I believe God gives many gifts to everyone. As weird as it sounds, I have a knack for empathy. It's actually quite bizarre. I can remember times when my mood has had an impact on the overall mood of the room. I can also remember being completely overwhelmed by what someone else was feeling. I can sense what people are feeling, what they are thinking, and what they want. It's something I've always had with me, but recently tried to hone in on. It's strange.

I think how I write is a result of this gift. My stories are often raw and overflowing with emotion. I don't want my writing to touch people, I want it to grip people. I want my gift of understanding emotion and passion and thoughts to be shared with everyone. I want you all to know how other people feel.

It's easy to get wrapped up in your own problems. It's easy to wallow. It's not hard to feel sorry for yourself. But feeling sorry for someone else is a completely and entirely different thing. It takes courage to open your heart up to them. It takes even greater courage to lend someone else courage.

God has given me the chance to let people know what I am feeling. I know how everyone in my life is feeling, but sometimes I feel so misunderstood. God has given me the gift of words to be able to do this.

Am I letting God take the credit for the work I put into writing? No.
Am I saying my writing is good because God is in my life? No.
I am simply admiring the fact that one day I wanted to write. I am admitting that, without warning, dreams of winning awards, being on Oprah and simply being a happy author have come to my mind.

I haven't always wanted to do this, but I believe God is to blame for planting this idea in my head. I haven't always enjoyed writing, nor have I always considered a future in it, but now I do. I think God knew what I needed to be happier, and he let me know what he thought was best for me; What is best for me.

That's all. I don't mean to sound like a crazy person. I just needed to get this off of my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment